Friday 12 September 2008

I Want To Make Marriage Glamorous-Omotola Jolade Ekeinde

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: “Is she getting younger or what?” is a question that often comes up when people look at your photos online.  Is there some kind of secret somewhere?
OMOTOLA: (LAUGHING) First, I want to say thank you for having the faith in this industry, to stay by us, tear us down, pull us up.  It’s all part of the package, you know.  It gets us to work harder. That’s why you do it.
Now to answer your question… Ahem, Omotola…I’m a very crazy person, so you really need to be very crazy in your mind to keep up.  I think the most beautiful women today in entertainment are like very crazy.  You talking about Demi Moore… Madonna.  These are people that are always re-inventing themselves.  They’re the people who know that their looks are very very important in their career.  I know that and I made up my mind to have my babies in good time after God favored me to get married in good time.
I think God has done so much for me and I’d be so silly to mess it up.  If God has allowed me to have my kids in good time when I could get back to shape, what reason would I have for not getting back to shape?  So, I do all the best I can.  I work out.  I watch what I eat.  Looking good is a lot of discipline.  Everybody tells you “you don’t have to do so much, I don’t do so much” – it’s not true.  Especially when you’ve had kids.  Before you have kids, your body is not expanded, so you can eat all you want.  You can do this and you might not add weight.  But after you’ve had kids and your body has expanded, your body has been told that you have the ability to go this much, so any little lead you give it, your body thinks “oh yes, it’s time for me to grow that much” (LAUGHING).  And it just keeps growing.
Definitely, after babies, you really need to watch your weight.  Basically, I do that, I work out.  I have a very big gym in my house.  I hardly go there, but one thing I do to compensate for my not working out (regularly) in the gym is walking.  I do a lot of walking and when I’m walking, you don’t see me cat-walking.  I walk like –
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    A soldier?
OMOTOLA: Yeah.  I walk and I move my hips a lot because if you’re going to look at my hips, you’ll (think) she’s swinging.  You don’t know I’m exercising.  I’m doing that because I know I have to … I flex my muscles and I tighten them up.  Every place I find myself, I try to exercise somehow.  I might be sitting down and talking to you and I’m just moving my neck, because I know that every little time I do any little thing, it adds to me.  It won’t remove (anything) from me, so why don’t I just do it, instead of just sitting numb, doing nothing?
And then I try not to use any harsh anything on myself.  In the short run, it might look like okay, some other people are more beautiful that you and they use all the creams and everything and they look like wow!  People are looking at you like …(SHE MAKES A FACE TO SUGGEST “NOT SO HOT”) But in the long run, it doesn’t always work with them.  But when you take it natural, in the short run it might not look like it’s happening, but in the long run, yeah.
I use a lot of moisturizers because in Nigeria, the weather is very very hot.  I don’t really misuse them, but in Nigeria you have to use a lot of moisturizers.  I’m naturally blessed.  I don’t have to bleach anything.  And like I said, I watch what I eat and I’m not going to lie about that.  I don’t eat beef.  I hardly eat chicken and when I do, I don’t eat the skin.  Same for turkey.  Funny enough, I’m not so much of a fish person –
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: So what exactly do you eat?
OOMOTOLA:      I love seafood like crazy.  I love Chinese.  I eat a lot of Chinese.  I know Chinese food is like healthy… I eat a lot of sea food.  Some sea food are a little fattening, you know, but somehow I get by.  You know what I do?  Sometimes I skip meals, so if I eat so much today, tomorrow, I’m going to go on fruits.  When you do that, you feel healthier.  And then I take Vitamin E everyday and Folic Acid… Just little things, all natural.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: How did you pick up this knowledge of what to do and not do, eat and not eat?
OMOTOLA: I researched because I wanted to know.  I’m crazy about magazines.  In my house, I have a whole library.  My husband keeps going “.  I’m like honey, you don’t to scream at me because this is my job (LAUGHING)  Every month, I spend so much money buying every magazine there is under the sun.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: How do you create time to read them?
OMOTOLA: I do.  Ah, I do because I know that a whole lot of my future depends on it, kind of… it’s the kind of information I need, you know?  I get a lot of tips from everybody.  I was reading a magazine – I think Hello – this month and I saw a tip on what Beyonce does with her nose.  Now, it’s not like I didn’t know about it before, but it was a little bit more in-depth and the fact that they talked about her and they showed exactly how she it… if I hadn’t bought the magazine, I probably wouldn’t have seen it.  I could buy all the books in the world, but I wouldn’t have seen Beyonce in that way.  So, I think those magazines mean so much to me. I buy them all the time.  I read them all the time.  It expands my knowledge.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: What is it about Beyonce’s nose?  There’s nothing wrong with your nose…
OMOTOLA: (LAUGHING) Sometimes, you just want your nose to look slimmer, more pointed and all that –
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Your nose is perfect.
OMOTOLA: (LAUGHING) Thank you.  We girls, you know… Girls never feel like they’re perfect.  No matter how pretty you are, you just feel like “Ah, if only…” (LAUGHING).  That’s just the way it is.  You look at something and you say “Ah, my nails… I wish this thing here was not there”.  You just always want to better what you have. But it’s okay, because in the long run, it makes you feel like there’s something you still need to do and it makes you love yourself.
I think basically, the first beauty tip you must have is you must really love yourself.  I mean people read what I say and all that and they’re like “Omotola, I think you’re too full of yourself”.  Whatever.  But I love myself.  God knows I love myself.  And I don’t think there’s anybody that’s just as good as me.  There can’t be anybody prettier than me, come on (LAUGHING).  So, after all these, I just look at myself and … I’m beautifully created.  Anything I want to do, its like oh yes, this is going to be just nice.  I’m always thinking of what next to do to make myself feel good and I feel good all the time.  So, it comes first from your heart.  You have to really love yourself, appreciate yourself and look in the mirror and say wow, I’m beautiful.  And then you look in the mirror and say wow, I’ve lost weight.  Jesus!  I’m looking good all the time.  Funny enough, I don’t know if it’s psychological or anything, but it happens.  True.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: So, on the psychology of it now, you’re saying that maintaining a good look is not just a physical thing.  there’s also the mind aspect of it?
OMOTOLA: Yeah.  You always have to tell yourself you look good.  Speak what you want to yourself.  Sometimes, I look into the mirror and I’d say “Omotola…”  And I’d just prophesy to myself.  “You look so good, you even look better than Julia Roberts”.
‘Cos a lot of people say she’s the Julia Roberts of Naija.  I’m like I thin I’m better than her.  And I think I can act better than her, so what’s stopping me, you know.  (LAUGHING).  Funny enough, I’m convinced.  Maybe I have it for too long or something…
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Omotola, there’s a saying… If you believe long enough in something, it will come to pass.
OMOTOLA: Oh yes.  When you say things to yourself, people will go “she’s so full of herself”.  You really don’t need to care about what people are going to say because people are always going to say stuff.  If you’re so poor and you’re on the street begging they will sat “Can you imagine this one doesn’t have family”?  Just to say something about someone who is begging in the street?  So, if they’re going to talk about you, why don’t they talk when you’re feeling good?  Think about it.  I mean who else could be (more) “mouthy” than this boxer, Mohammed Ali?  I mean Mohammed Ali was just “mouth” personified.  But today, we call him “The Champ” and you can talk all you want – I’m sure when he was going blah-blah-blah all that time, people were like who know this idiot? – but today, he’s indisputably the Champ of boxing.  And I’ve come to realize most people that make it in like talk so much about themselves.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Is that your attitude to life?  Don’t focus on what people say.  Believe in yourself and channel your energies in the right direction?
OMOTOLA: Definitely.  In as much as I believe you shouldn’t care about what people say, I’m not insensitive to the fact that people feel some way.  People will say “as long as you’re happy”.  You shouldn’t be happy at the expense of others.  I don’t believe that’s right.  I believe that’s the only thing we’ve got that a lot of other people have lost, maybe like our brothers and sisters in the white community.  When we Africans start to emulate that – as long as I’m happy, I don’t care about anybody else – then we’re going to lose totally, just like they have.  I think what keeps us together, our sanity together is still the fact that we are aware of the fact that we shouldn’t be happy at the expense of others.  That means that you shouldn’t be unhappy at the expense of others too, but in everything, God has given us a conscience.  So, in everything you, even if you’re a demon, you just know somewhere in your heart that this is not right.  That thing that tells you it’s not right is your conscience and that thing is always true.  No matter how crazy you are, there’s something you wear – as you’re wearing it, something in your mind keeps telling you “Ah”.  Know that things is telling you this is a little bit too much. Now, you can go with that crazy look or meet it in the middle somewhere.  Don’t be too simple.  Don’t be too crazy.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: This sounds like it’s going to be an interesting interview to read.  Have you always been this interesting to interview or did you get better at it over the years?
OMOTOLA: No, I’ve always been like this. I talk.  A lot of people think I’m snobbish because I keep to myself, but when I’m free with people, I talk.  I do.  I really talk a lot.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: So, why do you keep to yourself?
OMOTOLA: (LAUGHING) There are two sides to me.  I’m an extremist.  I’m either very happy or I’m not too happy.  I’m hardly in the middle.  Funny enough, I’m a little bit temperamental, or should I say I have mood swings.  Sometimes, I’m like everybody hi!  Even if you don’t say hi, I’m like hi!
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: And on your down days, everyone should stay out of your way? (HER PHONE RINGS)  Do you still call your husband “honey boy”?
OMOTOLA: (LAUGHING) That’s what I call him.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: How did the name come about?
OMOTOLA: I don’t know.  I think it was the Holy Spirit that gave it to me.  I don’t know.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: You guys are very close.
OMOTOLA: Yeah.  He’s my best friend.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: That’s always very good in a marriage.  I always think you should marry your friend who you also love, rather than marry your love who is not your friend.
OMOTOLA: Yeah, it’s very important.  In fact, if you don’t love the person, and the person is your best friend, I think it’s still okay.  Sometimes, love just doesn’t hold it down…  what is love anyway?
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: You’re happy?
OMOTOLA: Yeah.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: He makes you happy?
OMOTOLA: Definitely.  What matters most is that he respects me.  He’s loving and caring.  He’s God-filled.  Even if you’re not there, you’re not afraid because you know this person… He probably is doing whatever he’s doing with the fear that there is someone there that he truly loves and cares for.  And that’s good.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Are your kids already aspiring to become actresses and actors?
OMOTOLA: Not really, but Princess and my last baby Michael, have done films.  Princess was one time in the country very popular.  Even almost more popular than me.  In Scores To Settle, she acted as Baby Liz and she had this particular role of crying and screaming and she did it so well, she was celebrated.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    Do you try to keep your professional life from disturbing your personal life?

OMOTOLA:  I try to do that.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    Okay, let me leave your family.  Who is “Omosexy”?

OMOTOLA:  Wow! (GENERAL LAUGHTER).  My husband gave me that name.  He gave me “OmoT” and everybody started calling “OmoT”, so he changed to "Omosexy", and everybody started me "Omosexy".  I think everybody got to know "Omosexy" because my Jeep's name plate is "Omosexy".
And then when I wanted to launch my musical career, myself and my team, we sat down and we were thinking what's the best name?  should I still use Omotola?  I was like no, I don't want to use Omotola. In fact, I want to create three people:  Omotola really exists.  I want it to be strictly me, the wife, the mother and my family - that's Omotola.  Maybe I will keep OmoT for the movies.  I didn't have the opportunity of giving myself a stage name from the onset, but it’s catching on anyway.  This one (MUSIC), I have an opportunity to start from the beginning.  I don't want to start it with Omotola.  We went through so many names and everything, and everybody came back - just call yourself Omosexy, that's okay.  I was like no, it sounds a little bit... you know... We sampled opinions, sent out flyers to my fans - what do you think about this name? They were like oh yeah, it's cool.  It's hot.  I gave up.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    This three identities idea… isn’t there a danger of diluting your brand?  Why don’t you concentrate it in one person and keep it the way it is.

OMOTOLA:  Its in one person anyway.  (LAUGHING).  But the thing is its very easy for people to lose it.  Even in the big Hollywood.  We have the sole privilege of learning from other people.  Their mistakes, failures, dreams, goals and successes. We can learn from them.  Pick the good ones and (dump) the bad ones.  I study a lot of things.  I have looked around and I have come to realize that it is better when you have so much to do, especially critically intense careers running side by side, its good for you to give them different identities…. Its good for you to identify whatever you’re doing with one thing, so that people can say oh yeah, she’s already said that is not Omotola, that is OmoT.  So, when I’m done on stage and I have to do my job – and I know I have competition out there and records to sell – and you see me dressed in one particular manner, and you see me sing in one particular manner, you know that that is Omosexy and that is not Omotola.  When you see me in Church or you see me on a very regular day and I’m dressed down, I’m wearing – whatever, you don’t come to me and say -

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    But I’m going to come to you!

OMOTOLA:  Oh yeah, but you don’t come to me and go why are you dressed like this?  You’re expecting that crazy hot skirt that I wear on stage and you’re expecting me to keep up with that image that I’ve created, I’ll tell you no, that’s Omosexy.  This is Omotola here. 

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    Good explanation.  Let’s go back to Omosexy now.  Do you think the word “sexy” should be used to qualify a mother and wife?

OMOTOLA:  A-ha, why not?  Why not?  People have this… I want to change things.  In fact, I’m on a (course) for revolution.  People feel like oh, you’re married.  You should be sluggish.  When people see you, marriage should just be written around you.  You don’t even need to see my ring or I tell you I’m a Mrs.  You must be married, right?  You know that kind of stuff?

Times have changed, thanks to Omotola.  (LAUGHING).  That ain’t gonna happen with me.  Definitely not.  I mean it doesn’t change who I am.  Its not gonna change what I believe.  In fact, if anything, its going to enhance it.  This is what I want to do.  I want to make marriage glamorous.  A lot of ladies are very scared of marriage.  They tell you, oh yeah, I would really love to be married and be with a man and have kids and everything, but my career… that has got to change.  I want to prove a point that you can be very married, have your beautiful children and a responsibility to them, and still be hot.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    I believe you.  (GENERAL LAUGHTER)  How did your website come about?

OMOTOLA:  Well. a lot of people know by now that when I want to do something, I like to do a little bit extra, over the hedge.  I’m known to be a perfectionist.  I try to maintain that.  Sometimes, its very difficult but I still try to… Instead of coming out normal, I hold back as much as I can afford it. Then I come out with a bang, razzmatazz.
(A few years ago), myself and RMD sat down when we were shooting a movie and I was looking at his website.  And I was like I want to meet the guy that did your website.  I was so ready to do it then.  I had enough materials.  Somehow, I just didn’t get to do it.  I guess time just wasn’t right.
When I decided that I wanted to start a musical career, I felt like yeah, this is just the right time.  And then I had a publicist, a media consultant in the person of Stella Dimoko.  She’s now in Germany.  She recommended this guy to me… I looked at the websites they had done.  They were cool, very nice.  But they didn’t have the kind of craziness I wanted, but I could see it in them.  So I knew that all I needed to do was bring out the fire.  I sat down with this people and told them exactly what I wanted.  It took me so long…
In the long run, I think I’m pleased with it, even though I’m still driving them hard, it’s still not to my taste yet.  I thank them and everything but there’s still much to be done.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    Is Debbin your official photographer? Or he just has a way of capturing you right?  He took the photos on your site.

OMOTOLA:  Well, Debbin is good.  And he is humble.  I tend to get drawn more to young people that are very humble and hot.  They know their job. They know where they’re going to.  I can work with him.  But all the pictures on the site are not just Debbin’s pictures.  There’s this young man who is doing very well too.  His name is Kazeem.  He’s got a studio somewhere in Surulere.  On my splash page, there are two pictures.  My face and my back view.  The one with my back view is Debbin’s and the one with my face is Kazeem’s.  they’re all so good and I want to thank them.  They’re so dedicated to me.  Debbin calls me everyday, Omotola, you need to come for a photo shoot.  I’m like I don’t have the time.  Look, I’m going to come get you where you are and all that.  he’s lovely.  Kazeem too.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    How did you start doing Yoruba movies?

OMOTOLA:  The pressure had been on me for sometime to do a Yoruba film.  I didn’t watch Yoruba films that much (back then), and I didn’t really know the terrain.  And I wasn’t ready to go some place I didn’t know.  But when the pressure got so much, I now decided, okay, I’m going to sit down and watch some.  I did and found a few people I felt I liked.  One of the producers came around and was like he wanted to do film, and I saw his previous films.  I just felt comfortable.  He’s good.  His standard is just like some English films and everything and his stories were good.  I made him write the script.  I think that film I did was the first (Yoruba) film they ever wrote a script for … As I know of.  I’m not too sure.  I was like you have to write a script.  I don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing without a script.  So, he went ahead and wrote me a script – and I could understand what the story was about.  It was a tight story.  Then, we did it.  He came again and we did Oyato.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    Oyato became so explosive.  What was different for you about Oyato in particular?

OMOTOLA:  Oyato was different because… you know, Yoruba films, they don’t just speak Yoruba.  If you think doing Yoruba films is just speaking your Lagos Yoruba, oh you’re in for a big surprise.  They speak all this Ibadan Yoruba and they gave me so much proverbs and everything.  And then you need to come behind the scenes to watch us.  You’ll be like “What!”  I mean, sometimes I will just sit down there and five different people are teaching me one particular proverb.  And you have to pronounce it well.  oh my God, do I have to say this?  And they work hard.  I have to give that to them.  They really work hard.

So it was different.  Oyato was very emotional.  They used two cameras on that set.  It was big film.  We had a lot of big stars on set.  It was a political story, so they had to give it the kind of (attention it deserved).

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    My favorite sequence was that bit where the mother was lying on the bed and she was trying to get up.  Your character was going into labor, right?

OMOTOLA:  It was a very emotional film.  I really like that movie.  It was very very demanding.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    So far for you, what are the similarities and dissimilarities in working in the two areas – Yoruba and English?
 
OMOTOLA:  Not much, except for the fact that in Yoruba films, it takes them so much time.  If you’re coming from the English sector where everything is so fast, pace is very important.  You’re like can’t you guys just get everything on the road?  And then because I’m freer in the English sector because that’s where I’ve been for so long, when you’re in the Yoruba sector, you’re just trying to get by.  But they’re nice though.

Professionally, I’m not so good with the Yoruba language.  I can speak just Lagos Yoruba.  There’s some kind of Yoruba you speak, I don’t even understand what you’re saying,  I’m looking at you like “what?”.  So, I’m not confident as when I’m acting in English, because there’s nothing you say to me I can’t understand.  When you’re acting in Yoruba, you’re conscious of everything you’re saying.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    Tell us a little bit about the pains and pleasures of being so popular.
 
OMOTOLA:  Hmm, I’ll start from the pleasures.  Its very obvious, you know?  I wouldn’t have you talking to me if I wasn’t popular (LAUGHTER).  All these lovely people that are coming around us wouldn’t be coming around us if we weren’t popular.  I would have come to the states probably to do my own thing, in my own house, with my own family, quietly, if I wasn’t popular.  Everybody wouldn’t be coming to see you… I probably wouldn’t go to a place and everybody would go oh yeah, jump the queue.  So these things, when they come, you enjoy them because you’re popular.
Now the pains… I will speak specifically as Omotola.  For me, the pains…. There are two.  One, not really because I’m popular, but because of the complexity of the job.  It takes me away so much from my family.  It’s extremely painful in the sense that sometimes I have to even go away from my baby.  When my babies are like six months, I can’t go around with them anymore.  Not because I can’t afford to or anything, but because I want to teach them to be independent of me.  So, its very painful, but its something I have to do.  Now I’m here (IN THE USA), they’re not here with me because they’re in school and I can’t bring them here.  That really hurts for a mother.
Secondly, the one you know is the press.  The Press – love them, hate them, they’re our friends this minute, the next minute, you’re like Jesus, what did I do so wrong?  I’ve been very lucky with the press and I won’t lie about it.  Sometimes, I’ve been unlucky too.

So, those times when they say stuff about you, sometimes you feel like oh God, let the ground just open and let me go in.  you feel so bad, so wrong, because the kind of people we are, we’re so caged in.  We can’t feel what people feel, so you’re wondering what is everybody thinking about me now…

What are they saying?  Will I ever have the chance to make a second impression, to let them know the truth?  Especially when it’s not true, it can be so painful.  You can imagine everybody saying something about you that you know is not true and you don’t know what to do about it…

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    Tell me one thing they’ve written about you that’s not true.

OMOTOLA:  I really don’t want to dwell on that, you know.  But you know, a few things like the sex scandals and this and that… The press need to understand that for the nature of our job, we attract all manner of people… okay, I’ll tell you one.  Sometime in Nigeria, they wrote that some guy came from somewhere and he says he’s my boyfriend.  He was the one who gave the story – that he’s my boyfriend.  Me and him, we met somewhere in Enugu in some presidential hotel and that me, I was going to leave my husband for him and when he told me no, don’t leave your husband for me, I got angry -

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    And they published that?

OMOTOLA:  And they published that.  Can you imagine?  It was on the front page. Some ridiculous story… He now opened my bag and he found juju and me I was crying that I love him so much…(LAUGHING).  Its funny now, but it wasn’t funny (then).  I started reading the story, thinking maybe its some film.  Maybe they’re talking about the story of a movie that I’m supposed to be shooting or something.  I’m like “kai, this is real”.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    When they write this sort of thing about you, what does it feel like?

OMOTOLA:  It feels so bad.  Its so painful because sometime they don’t realize that we’re human.  They think we’re just superhuman or something.  Its so painful because whatever is written can never be changed.  Even in the next fifty years, somebody is still going to (read it).  It’s a document.  Somebody is still going to pick it up somewhere and read it someday.

And then you hurt if its not.  It its true, I don’t have any problems with you.  In fact, celebrate it and let the whole world know.  If I sleep with somebody… in fact, I will think you’re smart to even catch me.  In fact, you’re a hero.  Then I should respect you.  Eyin tun le (TRANSLATION: You are ingenious).  You know what I’m saying?  But if you hear something, what does it cost you to go the extra mile, investigate that thing, do all you can because you’re toying with somebody’s life.  You can write something and ruin somebody’s life forever.  I don’t think some journalists really understand that.
You can write something and if I’m not lucky, my husband could decide, oh yes, this is enough.  I’ve just had enough.  Even if I’m not blaming you, I just don’t need this anymore.  Even if he doesn’t say we’re getting divorced or anything, it could be the beginning of so many other things to come.  And then finally, that marriage breaks down.  And then you make the only life I have to live – because you don’t live this life two times.  You have only one life to live – you make that life miserable for me.  That’s just not fair.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM:    How do these stories impact on your home and the children?  How do you protect them from stories in the media when they go out to school?  How do you cushion them?

OMOTOLA: In my own particular case, my kids are still quite young, so I don’t think anybody is going to speak anything in their face.  If they did, then I would be so mad, and God knows I’m going to do anything because I don’t joke with my kids.  I protect them so much from all this craziness going on around me.  As they grow older, I think I’m going to be trying to explain all these things to them.  But they know me.  They probably would know me better than that anyway.  And then you owe it to them to (show them) the real you, so they can separate fantasy from reality.
I’m not going to lie to my kids that that world doesn’t exist.  I’m going to try and make them understand that this world is a world of make-believe.  And it exists, but its very different from me that you’re seeing.  I’m not going to assume that they know.  I’ll explain it to them when the time comes.  Those are just the little ways I think I can separate – my husband has been quite nice.  I just pray to God that they don’t push him too far, because we’re all human,  I understand that and I don’t take it for granted, I sacrifice so much.  Sometimes, you don’t see me in some places that ordinarily shouldn’t matter because I’m trying so hard to keep a straight path.  I don’t even do the normal things generally I should.  So, why do I work so hard and then you still ruin it for me?  Sometimes, I feel so discouraged.  So, why don’t I just do normal things…if you’re still going to say these things anyway?  I try so hard to respect myself and keep it real and lay a good example and they still mess with you.  You’re messing with everybody’s hope.  There are so many people that are hoping this thing will work.  They are watching me, hoping it can work.  It doesn’t matter that its me.  I’m just privileged to be used.
When Uche Osotule’s marriage went down, some people were celebrating it.  And then they were calling: “Hello, Omotola, have you heard?”  At first, I was like “Eh, I’ve just heard.”  All of a sudden, my husband called and was like “Why are they calling you?”  And that’s when it really dawned on me,  that’s true!  Even people I don’t talk to were calling me – why?  My husband said “This people are trying to get you.  They’re trying to tell you you’re next.”  And it occurred to me that directly or indirectly, that’s what they were trying to say.  Whether they meant to hurt me or they’re just doing it out of impulse, somehow, that’s what they were trying to say.  “Na wa o.  One down, how many to go?”  Its so sad.  And then the Press…Uche has respected herself so so much.  She didn’t deserve what they were writing about her.  Even if there’s a problem, we’re all human for heaven’s sakes.  We go through stuff.  I thought I would ever see some paper – except TPL, Treasure, People & Life, under the leadership of -

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Femi Akintunde-Johnson.

OMOTOLA: Femi Akintunde-Johnson.  God bless that man and his wife.  That was the only paper I read that tried in some way to explain that this lady (Uche Osotule) has always been a decent lady.  They just wait for that sort of mistake and then cash in on it, calling her all sorts of names…

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Between your very first movie, Venom of Justice, and your most current work, how would you say you have grown and changed as an actress?

OMOTOLA: Oh yeah, I’ve changed.  A lot has happened in-between.  (LAUGHTER) I was fifteen when I did Venom of Justice.  Now, you’re talking to a woman -

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Tell me what has changed.

OMOTOLA: A lot has happened.  I’m older, wiser, like then I was naïve. I’m no more naïve.  I probably have more fans now. I have so many awards now.  basically, everything has changed for the better.

WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Was it exciting for you to find out you have so many fans here in America?
OMOTOLA: Yeah, its exciting.  Its very nice.  Everywhere I’ve been to, the reception has always been like “wow!”  it happened even in Africa when we were in -
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Sierra Leone.
OMOTOLA: Sierra Leone.  That was awesome.  Even when I was in London,  it was awesome, Dublin was crazy. Its amazing how much people are tuned now to Nigerian movies.  Sometimes you need to pinch yourself and go “What?”  its exciting.  We thank God.  Its not like we’re really doing anything fantastic, really.  I think it’s just God.  And its our time.  We thank Him for making it our time.  I’m privileged to be in these times.  And I thank everybody for sharing this experience with us
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Two last questions.  What’s your long term goal?
OMOTOLA: I write.  I’m already a writer.  I write for the Sun.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: I’ve read your column a few times.  We’re going to see more of that?
OMOTOLA: Yes
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Is Omotola going to become a director too?
OMO.: (LAUGHING) No, I don’t like saying things I want to be.  I only say things I’m already doing.  But I guess as the Lord gives me the strength, I will do definitely.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: In conclusion, say something to your international audience.
OMOTOLA: Oh my God, I love them so much.  I thank them for all their support, for their kindness… My fans cut across everybody: the babies, young girls – you’d think young girls would be like ugh, what’s the big deal about her?  Most times, you always have your fans to be the opposite sex.  Its really nice.  I really love that.  And then guys… You have women and older people who go “omo mi” (TRANSLATION: my daughter).  So, its nice.  I love everybody and I thank them all.  And I want them to keep praying for me, you know, because its not easy.  Its easy for you to slip and lose it, but when you know there are people watching you, praying for you, who are always with you, encouraging you…You can sit tight and say yeah, if for nothing else, I’m not going to let these people down.  I just want to thank them.  I want to tell them I won’t let them down.
WWW.NAIJARULES.COM: Thank you very much Omotola.
OMOTOLA: Thank you Sola Osofisan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not use this forum as a channel to promote hatred, tribalism or any other kind of personal grievances.
The administration can delete or edit a post that violates these guidelines. Keep the posts relevant to the topic in an attempt to keep the forum organised and maintain the focus on each topic. Thanks. The administration.