Thursday 16 October 2008

I endorse polygamy.....Sam Loco Efe

His words:” Practice, they say, makes perfect. I sharpen my intellect on a daily basis and this is why there’s hardly any lines or words that I cannot commit to memory even within a short period.”
According to Loco, reading and simplicity have guided his career over the years, such that “ I sell my clothes to buy books…this is why I prefer simple dresses…I prefer to wear simple dresses and read many books.”

On what spurs him into action as an actor, Loco said,” many things put me on whenever I act. Some of these things are a product of the training I received and the environment from which I grew or find myself. But I hate pretenders…people have to be real in their conducts. Today, many people join the acting profession because they want to be famous and this is why they all get it wrong. There is a difference between being a famous actor and being a great actor.”

To Sam Loco, acting is a talent that has to be nurtured through training and this requires that a good actor should not only strive to speak good English, but should also ‘talk’ English the way the native speakers do. He argued that one of the avenues through which an actor wins his audience is by learning how to communicate effectively using English or whatever language that is required. He observed further “ if you are a robber, the chances are that you would be a better robber if you are properly trained.”
Recalling how he wrote, performed and presented his first play for a drama competition on October 1, 1960, Loco hinted that he became a dramatist “through accidental discharge.” He explained with nostalgia how as a secondary school pupil, he was the only competitor whose entry came last but ironically launched him into drama without prior training.

On his dual personality as a man and an actor, Loco said he talks naturally from his heart as a human being but that his personality usually changes the moment he grabs a drama script. But the veteran actor is unhappy that Nollywood today parades more of fashion than acting,”

There is a gulf of difference between fashion parade and acting. Today, there are more stars in Nigeria than the whole of Europe put together. This why our emerging actors lose control the moment they get the impression that they’ve become stars. Majority of our actors today lose control on maintenance of stardom, forgetting that stardom kills creativity,” observed Loco.

Asked about his attitude to wine and women, Loco Efe said: “Whatever gives you pleasure, please do it. I do not pretend on the issues of wine and women but I’ve always learnt to do everything based on my tenacity. I think one is free to do whatever gives him or her pleasure, provided one does not destroy self in the process.”

While explaining the challenges of the stage and screen, the veteran actor said the entire structural design of the artiste is put into use on stage but that the screen requires facial expressions and sometimes, elaborate make-up to achieve desired effects. His deep knowledge of both the stage and screen has earned him success.

On his marriage and love life, Loco was quick to say that he once got married to a woman who later died in the United States. But that he also has children by other women after the death of his first wife. the expressed support for polygamy, saying “ I endorse polygamy. It’s a soft landing cushion to avoid promiscuity and adultery.

Unfortunately, we now avoid polygamy because of Christianity.”
Loco’s main regret so far is the failure to have replaced self by younger actors. He hinted that he isn’t looking for actors who would exactly imitate him, but those who can attain his level of professionalism and discipline as against sacrificing creativity on the altar of commerce and stardom.

He explained, “ very soon I will do partial withdrawal from acting. Since attaining the age of 60, I’ve tried to get myself replaced but it’s been difficult. I will like to be remembered for how many lives I have impacted on positively and how many people I’ve trained …I would have been an armed robber if I hadn’t taken to acting…despite the fact that every human being is an actor.”

A graduate of Theatre Arts from the University of Ibadan, Loco came into limelight when he was voted best actor for his role in Langbodo, Nigeria’s only drama entry for FESTAC ‘77 directed by Dapo Adelugba. Also in 1996, Loco won three awards in the THEMA edition. Some of his popular works include: Picadilly Circus, Sergeant Okoro and Ukwa. He is currently national chairman caretaker committee of the Actors Guild of Nigeria as well as chairman, board of veterans of the same guild

http://www.nigeriamovies.net/news/news268.php

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not use this forum as a channel to promote hatred, tribalism or any other kind of personal grievances.
The administration can delete or edit a post that violates these guidelines. Keep the posts relevant to the topic in an attempt to keep the forum organised and maintain the focus on each topic. Thanks. The administration.